Family Medicine Residency Program
St. Mary's has a long history of training great family physicians. This outstanding residency was established in 1977 and is affiliated with the University of Colorado. Based at St. Mary's Hospital Regional Medical Center in Grand Junction, CO, we are the only residency program within a 250-mile radius. Our emphasis is training doctors to practice in rural areas. We have over 200 graduates, 90% practice in communities with a population less than 50,000 and 60% practice in towns less than 5,000.
For a brief summary, please watch our Family Medicine Residency video.
Check our Facebook page for the latest science and adventure.
- Congratulations to Gina Martin, MD who was selected as CAFP's F. William Barrows Resident of the Year in 2014. This prestigious award is given yearly to an outstanding resident. For additional details and the formal press release please visit http://coloradoafp.org/gina-martin-md-of-grand-junction-named-f-william-barrows-resident-of-the-year/ or http://epubs.democratprinting.com/article/GINA+MARTIN%2C+MD/1686945/205433/article.html
- Welcome to our 8 new residents, who arrived in the middle of June:
- Catherine Cantway, MD, University of Washington
- Devon Hutton, MD, University of Minnesota
- Zachary Kaufman, MD St. Louis University
- Rebecca Morrow, MD University of Iowa
- Amy Hills, MD Georgetown University
- Stephanie Lape, MD Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Seth Turner, MD University of Arizona
- Karee Welker, MD Texas Tech Health Sciences Center
- Name a residency program that has PBS prepare a documentary that prominently features it. That is us! Watch this special by T.R. Reed, "US Healthcare: The Good News." This film was released nationally in 2012, the PBS website.
- We received a 5-year reaccreditation from ACGME and recognition as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) from NCQA. Both are the highest honors available.
- The latest of our 8 national presentations this year was at the July AAFP Family Centered Maternity Care Conference. Dr. Elvi Whiteford shared our successful Spanish Prenatal Group Medical Visit.
St. Mary's Hospital is the largest medical center on the Western Slope of CO. This 350-bed hospital serves as a primary and referral hospital for an area of over a quarter million square miles encompassing parts of 4 states. The Faculty & Residents are an integral part of this regions patient care. This provides residents exposure to a remarkable depth and breadth of patients not typically seen at other hospitals. St. Mary's Hospital staff includes over 300 physicians representing nearly every specialty and sub-specialty.
The community has a strong base of family doctors & specialists who contribute to the residency program. We offer a popular Family Medicine Clerkship experience for 4th year students of LCME accredited and AOA approved schools. There is also a Sub-I in Internal Medicine to take advantage of one of our many strengths. Third year students from the University of Colorado do their Family Medicine clerkship with us. Housing adjacent to the hospital is available.
The St. Mary's Family Medicine Program is an 8-8-8 format & is the only residency at St. Mary's. There are currently thirteen faculty members devoted to resident education.
One hundred percent of our graduates have passed the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) Exam. Visit Graduates and Practice Locations for the names & medical school of doctors who have completed the program & the location of their practice. Also, see what our graduates have to say about us.
We are the "Best Kept Secret" in family medicine. At 4600 feet & surrounded by mountains, our topography provides surprisingly mild weather year-round with over 300 days of sunshine, & a long growing season. Agriculture, ranching & tourism are our biggest local industries. This is Colorado wine country.
The St. Mary's Family Medicine Center is a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH), located in a large facility (29,700 sq. ft.), specially designed for the residency program, walking distance from the hospital. The center includes 34 exam rooms with specially designated rooms for minor surgery, fetal monitoring, ultrasound, gynecologic procedures, patient education, fiber-optic endoscopy, counseling & a spacious precepting area. Personal areas for each resident are provided in two large resident studies.
Most of our conferences are held in the Residency in one of three conference rooms. There is NO phamaceutical funding of our program or drug rep. visits.
- Grand Rounds: 7:00 a.m., Tuesdays
- Education Day: Noon - 3:30 p.m., Wednesday; catered lunch; variety of topics, speakers & time for hands-on learning.
- Thursday Lunch Specials:
- Evidence Based Medicine
- Pharmasuitables (Best Rx Tips)
- OB M & M
- Journal Club
The Western Slope Collaborative Clinic has been part of us for twelve years. The clinic provides primary care, HIV specialty care, case management, mental health, dental and peer adherence counseling in an integrated setting. Care is provided in our office in conjunction with subspecialists from the University of Colorado. We offer training that will allow residents to earn certification as HIV Specialists from the American Academy of HIV Medicine.