Saccomanno Research Institute
- Thomas, KJ, McCoy, MK, Blackinton, J, Beilina, A, van der Brug, M, Sandebring, A, Miller, D, Maric, D, Cedazo-Minguez, A, Cookson, MR. DJ-1 acts in parallel to the PINK1/parkin pathway to control mitochondrial function and autophagy. Human Molecular Genetics, 2011; Vol 20(1); 40-50.
- Amos, CI, Pinney, SM, Li, Y, Kupert, E, Lee, J, de Andrade, MA, Yang, P, Schwartz, AG, Fain, PR, Gazdar, A, Minna, J, Wiest, JS, Zeng, D, Rothschild, H, Mandal, D, You, M, Coons, T, Gaba, C, Bailey-Wilson, JE, Anderson, MW. A Susceptibility Locus on Chromosome 6q Greatly Increases Lung Cancer Risk among Light and Never Smokers. Cancer Research, March 2010; Vol 70(6); 2359-2367.
- Bechtel, JJ, Kelley, WA, Coons, TA, Mohler, P, Mohler, A, James, D, Petty, TL. Five-Year Outcome of Lung Cancer Obstruction in a Primary Care Outpatient Practice. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, November 2009; Vol 4(11): 1347-1351.
- You, M, Daolong, W, Liu, P, Vikis, H, James, M, Lu, Y, Wang, Y, Wang, M, Chen, Q, Jia, D, Liu, Y, Wen, W, Yang, P, Sun, Z, Pinney, S, Zheng, W, Shu, X, Long, J, Gao, Y, Xiang, Y, Chow, W, Rothman, N, Petersen, G, Andrade, M, Wu, Y, Cunningham, J, Wiest, J, Fain, P, Schwartz, A, Girard, L, Gazdar, A, Gaba, C, Rothschild, H, Mandal, D, Coons, T, Lee, J, Kupert, E, Seminara, D, Minna, J, Bailey-Wilson, J, Amos, C, Anderson, M. Fine mapping of Chromosome 6q23-25 Region in Familial Lung Cancer Families Reveals RGS17 as a Likely Candidate Gene. Clin Cancer Res, April 15, 2009; Vol 15(8): 2666-2674.
- Coons T, Walker R. Community Health Risk Analysis of Oil & Gas Industry Impacts in Garfield County. www.garfield-county.com/Index.aspx?page=1127; posted Jan 2009.
- Liu P, Vikis H, Wang D, Lu Y, Wang Y, Schwartz A, Pinney S, Yang P, de Andrade M, Petersen G, Wiest J, Fain P, Gazdar A, Gaba C, Rothschild H, Mandal D, Coons T, Lee J, Kupert E, Seminara D, Minna J, Bailey-Wilson J, Wu X, Spitz M, Houlston R, Amos C, Anderson M, You M. Familial aggregation of common sequence variants on 15q24-25.1 in lung cancer. Brief Communication. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, July 2008.
- Oko L, Aduddell-Swope B, Willis D, Hamor R, Coons T, Hjelle B, Schountz T. Profiling helper T cell subset gene expression in deer mice. BMC Immunology 2006, 7:18-26.
- Kevin K. Divine, Leah C. Pulling, Patricia G. Marron-Terada, Kieu C. Liechty, Terri Kang, Ann G. Schwartz, Therese J. Bocklage, Teresa A. Coons, Frank D. Gilliland and Steven A. Belinsky. Multiplicity of abnormal promoter methylation in lung adenocarcinomas from smokers and never smokers. Int. J. Cancer: 114, 400-405 (2005).
- Joel J. Bechtel, MD, FCCP; William A. Kelley, MD, FCCP; Teresa A. Coons, Ph.D.; M. Gerry Klein, MD; Daniel D. Slagel, MD; and Thomas L. Petty, MD, Master FCCP. Lung Cancer Detection in Patients With Airflow Obstruction Identified in a Primary Care Outpatient Practice. CHEST 2005; 127:1140-1145.
- Bailey-Wilson JE, Amos CI, Pinney S, Petersen GM, de Andrade M, Wiest JS, Fain P, Schwartz AG, You M, Franklin W, Klein C, Gazdar A, Rothschild H, Mandal D, Coons T, Slusser J, Lee J, Gaba C, Kupert E, Perez A, Ahou X, Zeng D, Liu Q, Seminara D, Minna J, Anderson M. A major lung cancer susceptibility locus maps to chromosome 6q23-25. American Journal of Human Genetics, September 2004.
- Frazer-Abel AA, Baksh S, Fosmire SP, Willis D, Brungardt H, Coons T, Linthicum DS, Buarakoff SJ, Modiano JF. Nicotine activates nuclear factor of activated T cells c2 (NFATc2) and prevents cell cycle entry in T cells. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. July 1, 2004.
- Davenport BJ, Willis DG, Prescott J, Farrell RM, Coons TA, Schountz T. Generation of competent bone marrow-derived antigen presenting cells from the deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus). BMC Immunology 2004 5:23.
- Schountz, T., R.M. Green, B. Davenport, A. Buniger, T. Richens, J.J. Root, F. Davidson, C.H. Calisher and B.J. Beaty, 2004. Cloning and Characterization of Deer Mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus cytokine and chemokine cDNAs. BMC Immunology 2004 5:1.
- Crumbaker, M. St. Mary's Hospital IRB: A small community hospital-based IRB has advantages as well as unique problems in efforts to protect human subjects. Protecting Human Subjects Spring (8) 2003: 8-9.
- Morris, JA, Zhang, D, Coleman, KG, Nagle, J, Pentchev, PG, Carstea, ED. The Genomic Organization and Polymorphism Analysis of the Human Niemann-Pick C1 Gene. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, August 1999; Vol 261(2); 493-498.
- Neufeld, EB, Wastney, M, Patel, S, Suresh, S, Cooney, AM, Dwyer, NK, Roff, CF, Ohno, K, Morris, JA, Carstea, ED, Incardona, JP, Strauss III, JF, Vanier, MT, Patterson, MC, Brady, RO, Pentchev, PG, Blanchette-Mackie, EJ. The Niemann-Pick C1 Protein Resides in the Vesicular Compartment Linked to Retrograde Transport of Multiple Lysosomal Cargo. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, April 1999; Vol 274(14); 9627-9635.
- Somers, KL, Wenger, DA, Royals, MA, Carstea, ED, Connally, HE, Kelly, T, Kimball, R, Thrall, MA. Complementation Studies in Human and Feline Niemann-Pick Type C Disease. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, February 1999; Vol 66; 117-121.
- Morris, JA, Carstea, ED. Niemann-Pick C Disease: Cholesterol Handling Gone Awry. Molecular Medicine Today, October 1998; 525-531.
- Herzog, CR, Soloff, EV, McDoniel, AL, Tyson, FL, Malkinson, AM, Haugen-Strano, A, Wiseman, RW, Anderson, MW, You, M. Homozygous Codeletion and Differential Decreased Expression of p15INK4b, p16INK4a-α and p16INK4a-β in Mouse Lung Tumor Cells. Oncogene, 1996; Vol 13; 1885-1891.
- Donnelly, PJ, Devereux, TR, Foley, JF, Maronpot, RR, Anderson, MW, Massey, TE. Activation of K-ras in Aflatoxin B1-induced Lung Tumors from AC3F1 (A/J x C3H/HeJ) Mice. Carcinogenesis, 1996; Vol 17(8); 1735-1740.
- Maronpot, RR, Anna, CH, Devereux, TR, Lucier, GW, Butterworth, BE, Anderson, MW. Considerations Concerning the Murine Hepatocarcinogenicity of Selected Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. Progress in Clinical and Biological Research, 1995; Vol 391; 305-323.
- Watson, MA, Devereax, TR, Malarkey, DE, Anderson, MW, Maronpot, RR. H-ras Oncogene Mutation Spectra in B6C3F1 and C57BL/6 Mouse Liver Tumors Provide Evidence for TCDD Promotion of Spontaneous and Vinyl Carbamate-Initiated Liver Cells. Carcinogenesis, 1995; Vol 16(8); 1705-1710.
- Hegi, ME, Devereux, TR, Dietrich, WF, Cochran, CJ, Landers, ES, Foley, JF, Maronpot, RR, Anderson, MW, Wiseman, RW. Allelotype Analysis of Mouse Lung Carcinomas Reveals Frequent Allelic Losses on Chromosome 4 and an Association between Allelic Imbalances on Chromosome 6 and K-ras Activation. Cancer Research, 1994; Vol 54; 6257-6264.
- Goodrow, TL, Nichols, WW, Storer, RD, Anderson, MW, Maronpot, RR. Activation of H-ras is prevalent in 1,3-butadiene-induced and Spontaneously Occurring Murine Harderian Gland Tumors. Carcinogenesis, 1994; Vol 15(11); 2665-2667.
- Anna, CH, Maronpot, RR, Pereira, MA, Foley, JF, Malarkey, DE, Anderson, MW. Ras Proto-oncogene Activation in Dichloroacetic Acid-, Trichlorethylene- and Tetrachloroethylene-induced Liver Tumors in B6C3F1 Mice. Carcinogenesis, 1994; Vol 15(10); 2255-2261.
- Wiest, JS, Burnett, VL, Anderson, MW, Reynolds, SH. A novel mechanism of in vivo ras Gene Activation Involving Tandem Duplication of Coding Sequences. Oncogene, 1994; Vol 9(9); 2449-2454.
- Stanley, LA, Blackburn, DR, Devereaux, S, Foley, J, Lord, PG, Maronpot, RR, Orton, TC, Anderson, MW. Ras Mutations in Methylclofenapate-induced B6C3F1 and C57BL/10J Mouse Liver Tumours. Carcinogenesis, 1994; Vol 15(6); 1125-1131.
Thomas, KJ and MR Jacobson. A Lung Cancer Model Linking Apoptotic Resistance and Tumorigenesis Via Defects in Mitochondrial Dynamics. European School of Haematology International Conference, Mechanisms of Cell Death and Disease: Advances in Therapeutic Intervention and Drug Development. Cascais, Portugal. October 14-18, 2010.
JK Blayney; CM Grills; PV Jithesh; I Wistuba; M Jacobson; KJ O'Bryne; KM Kerr; G Scagliotti; RJ Holt; DA Fennell. Evaluation of Machine Learning versus Cox Regression in Identification of Factors Predicting Recurrence Following Resection of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Clin Oncol 28:15s, 2010 (suppl; abstr 1599); Poster Presentation (Blayney) ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, June 4-8, 2010.
Joel J. Bechtel, MD, FCCP; W. Kelley, MD, FCCP; T. Coons, Ph.D.; G. Klein, MD; D. Slagel, MD; and Thomas L. Petty, MD, Master FCCP, Lung Cancer Detection in Asymptomatic Patients With Airflow Obstruction, Chest 2004; 125:163S.
JJ Bechtel, MD*; W. Kelley, MD; T. Coons, PhD; G. Klein, MD; D. Slagel, MD and T.L. Petty, MD. Lung Cancer Detection in Asymptomatic Patients with Airflow Obstruction in a Primary Care Medical Practice. Chest 2002; 122:198S.
D. Slagel, MD; M.G. Klein, MD; M. Crumbaker; T. Coons, PhD; E. Rieniets; JJ Bechtel, MD. Efficacy of Sputum Cytology in a Community Based Lung Cancer Screening Program Involving Primary Care Physicians in Patient Selection: A Pilot Study. 50th Annual Scientific Meeting Acta Cytologica, 2002; Vol 46:971.
D. Slagel, MD; R. Ormesher, C.T. (ASCP); C. Jensen, MD. Performance of AutoCyte PREP System for Gynecologic Cytology in a Community Practice. Acta Cytologica, 2002; Vol 46:955.
JF Modiano; A Frazer-Abel; S Baksh; S Fosmire; D Willis; TA Coons. Nicotine Inhibits Cytokine Responsiveness in Human T Cells through NFAT1-mediated Repression of CDK4 Expression and Activity. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, New Orleans, LA, April 2002.
Posters and Presentations
Presentation at LabAutomation 2011; January 29-February 2, 2011; Palm Springs, California. (MR Jacobson) - Implementation of a Cloud-Based Biorepository Informatics Solution at a Community Hospital Research Facility.
Presentation at 18th Euroconference on Apoptosis; September 1-4, 2010; Ghent, Belgium (KJ Thomas and MR Jacobson) - A Lung Cancer Model Linking Apoptotic Resistance and Tumorigenesis via Defects in Mitochondrial Dynamics.
Poster at Mitochondria, Apoptosis and Cancer Conference; October 1-4, 2009; Prague, Czech Republic (KJ Thomas and MR Jacobson) - Mitochondrial Dynamics and Dysfunction in Lung Cancer Cells.
Presentation to the Colorado Asthma Coalition, December 8, 2006, National Jewish Hospital, Denver, CO (T. Coons and T. Carr) - Reducing School Absences Due to Asthma Exacerbations in Mesa County Valley School District 51.
Poster Presentation submitted by request to the 4th Annual Diversity Research Exchange, University of Colorado at Denver and University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, May 4, 2006, Denver, CO (T. Coons) - Use of The International Study of Asthma and Allergy In Children (ISAAC) Tool To Conduct a Population-Based Screening For Asthma Symptoms In Fifth Graders.
Poster Presentation at the Annual Epidemiological Exchange meeting, February 24, 2006, Denver, CO (T. Coons) - Use of The International Study of Asthma and Allergy in Children (ISAAC) Tool To Conduct a Population-Based Screening For Asthma Symptoms in Fifth Graders.
Presentation at Oil and Gas Action Project Summit; October 29, 2005, Farmington, NM (T. Coons) - Community Health Risk Assessment: An Assessment of Risk Related to the Oil and Gas Industry in Garfield County.
Presentation at Black Lung Clinics Coalition Annual Meeting, October 28, 2005, Denver, CO (T. Coons) - U.S. Uranium Miners: Risks, Rights and Benefits.
Poster Presentation at the 11th World Conference on Lung Cancer, July 3-6, 2005, Barcelona, Spain (J. Bechtel and T. Coons) - Lung Cancer Detection in High Risk Patients with Airflow Obstruction: An Ongoing Study. Joel J. Bechtel, William Kelley, Teresa Coons, Phillip Mohler, Andrew Mohler, Medford Klein, and Thomas Petty.
Presentation at Geological Society of America, Rocky Mountain Section 57th Annual Meeting, May 23-25, 2005, Grand Junction, CO (T. Coons) - Health Impacts of the Uranium Industry: A Cold War Legacy.
Presentation at Rocky Mountain Division, American Association of Microbiologists Meeting, April 16, 2005, Denver, CO (T. Shountz) - Isolation of mucleocapsid-specific T cells from Sin Nombre virus-infected deer mice. T. Schountz, J. Prescott, D. Willis, K. Mirowsky, T. Coons, and B. Hjelle.
Poster Presentation at the Emerging Pathogens in Nature Conference, March 18-21,2004, Galveston, TX (T Schountz) - Generation of Competent Bone Marrow-derived Antigen Presenting Cells from the Deer Mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus). T Schountz, B Davenport, D Willis, and TA Coons.
Poster Presentation at the Colorado Public Health Association Meeting, September 22-24, 2003, Steamboat Springs, CO (Betty Mason and Teresa A. Coons) - Rocky Mountain ISAAC Study - an Internship.
Poster Presentation at the American Association for Cancer Research 94th Annual Meeting, July 11-15, 2003, Washington DC (T. Coons) - A "case-finding" protocol for early detection of lung cancer in a primary care medical practice setting. Joel J. Bechtel, William Kelley, Teresa A. Coons, Medford G. Klein, Daniel Slagel, Gracie Ehlert, and Thomas L. Petty.
Presentation at Aspen Lung Conference, June 2003, Aspen, CO (J Bechtel) - Lung Cancer Detection in Asymptomatic Patients with Airflow Obstruction. JJ Bechtel, W Kelley, TA Coons, G Klein, D Slagel, and TL Petty.
Abstract Accepted for poster presentation at the American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting, April 6, 2003, Toronto, CA (T. Coons) - meeting canceled due to SARS: A "case-finding" protocol for early detection of lung cancer in a primary care medical practice setting. Joel J. Bechtel, William Kelley, Teresa A. Coons, Medford G. Klein, Daniel Slagel, Gracie Ehlert, and Thomas L. Petty.
Poster Presentation at the American Society of Cytopathology (ASC) Meeting, November 5-9, 2002, Salt Lake City, UT (D Slagel) - Efficacy of Sputum Cytology in a Community Based Lung Cancer Screening Program Involving Primary Care Physicians in Patient Selection: A Pilot Study. D Slagel, MG Klein, M Crumbaker, TA Coons, E Rieniets, and JJ Bechtel.