Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Babies born with complex medical needs are cared for by the professional team in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. This highly trained team includes board certified neonatologists, masters trained neonatal nurse practitioners, dedicated neonatal nurses, and special therapists. The NICU has advanced technology available to care for critically ill infants, even those born premature. The team provides comprehensive care, with access to a full range of pediatric medical sub-specialties including surgery and cardiology. The NICU has a full service transport team ready to respond, by ground or air, to a large referral area in western Colorado and eastern Utah.
According to guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics, St. Mary's operates as a Level IIIB neonatal intensive care unit.
St. Mary's has the personnel, expertise, and equipment to provide:
- continuous life support and comprehensive care for extremely high-risk newborn infants and those with complex and critical illness,
- comprehensive care for extremely low birth weight infants,
- advanced respiratory care,
- prompt and on-site access to a full range of pediatric medical sub specialists, including pediatric surgical specialists and anesthesiologists,
- advanced imaging with interpretation on an urgent basis, including computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, and echocardiography.